Monday 28 May 2012

Best Ever Orange and Poppy Seed Muffins

I recently came across the BEST EVER orange and poppy seed muffin recipe, and in keeping with NNG tradition, I must share it! I don't usually like muffins, they tend to be sickly sweet and leave a layer of sugary grit on your teeth. This recipe manages to be fresh and zesty whilst remaining dense.

Ingredients:

  • 2/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon orange extract
  • 2 2/3 cups plain flour
  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius. 
Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in sour cream, orange juice, zest and extract.
In a separate bowl combine flour, poppy seeds, baking soda and salt. Add dry mixture into wet mixture, and stir until incorporated.
Scoop into muffin tins, lined with paper-liners, until two-thirds full. Bake on the ope shelf for 15-18 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Spoon over orange syrup while warm.

Orange Syrup
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice 
  • 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract
  • 1/4 cup icing sugar
In a small bowl stir the orange juice into the icing sugar until combined. Spoon over warm muffins.
Makes approximately: 16 muffins

E.N.J.O.Y




3 comments:

KH said...


Hi there!

I don't have an orange extract, do you think I should increase the amount of the orange juice? If yes, then may I know to how much?

Thanks in advance.

Sandra said...

Hey KH....I used some orange extract to boost the orangeyness of a batch I made( not this recipe) and it tasted bloody awful!!! Don't know if it can go off, but I had had it for a while. Be careful with it.

Anonymous said...

Hi...I made 24 muffins and sold them down at Bamoral they where a hit!!